TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Mitchell Lama coop application

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Mitchell Lama coop application

Postby michaelk779 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:54 pm

Have been on the waiting list for many years for a coop apartment. My dad orginally filled filled out the application some 15 years ago as head of household, putting myself and my brother as persons to reside in the apartment (total three persons).

With the passing of time, unfortunately both my dad and brother have died, leaving me as the only living applicant. At this point I don't think I'd qualify for an apartment due to my current income (althought as fate would have it, it appears I will be losing my job due to downsizing soon).

My question is this: As the only remaining applicant, can I add my sister to the application - or replace myself with my sister on the application so that she could qualify for the apartment?

There doesn't seem to be anything written in the current M/L rules that address these types of issues.

Would very much appreciate any opinions on this.

Thanks
michaelk779

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:22 pm

I recently received applications from several Mitchell Lama co-ops and it seems that each one handles their waiting lists differently. Some seem to have rather strict guidelines about family composition and when you have to meet financial requirements, while others require less information up front. One only allowed single people to occupy studio apartments while another offered singles a choice between studios and one bedrooms. So the only thing I could recommend is that you contact the co-op you've applied to.

Also, 15 years seems like a long time. You might want to confirm that you're still on the waiting list and ask if you can update your application. If you're the last remaining family member from the original application you might ask if you can transfer your application to a list for smaller apartments. The waiting time for a one bedroom is probably considerable less that it would be for a two or three bedroom, which yoiu may bo longer qualify for, anyway.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby michaelk779 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:58 pm

After an seemingly unpleasent visit to the coop office I have confirmed that we are still on the waiting list and our number is coming up in the near future.

Appears this coop adheres to the income qualifications rules (which means at this moment I currently will not qualify). The people at the coop office (manager included) were not able to give me any substantive information on adding my sister to the original application.

Given this unpleasent experience at the office, I am concerned of moving forward without a firm understandiing of the policy/procedures (if any) for updating the original application. I don't want to jeapordize my postion and risk the 15+ years of being on the waiting list.

Thanks
michaelk779

Postby michaelk779 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:19 am

Is it possible to add a family member to the application?
Is it possible for a family member to "suceed" the application?
Is it possible to "transfer" the application to a family member?

Not sure how this all might work.
Does anyone know?
Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
michaelk779

Postby Cranky Tenant » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:49 am

Mitchell Lama applicants must meet ML family composition guidelines for the apartment. For example, according to one application I have on hand, "no fewer than three persons, a brother and sister who are both adults, and a parent or guardian with at least one child, may occupy a two bedroom apartment." Separate waiting lists are usually kept for studio, one, two, and three bedroom apartments, with the largest apartments usually having the lowest turnover. If the application is for a two or three bedroom that might explain why you've been on the waiting list for 15 years.

The particular application I'm quotng does not require the names of additional family members. As long as the family qualifies for the apartment at the time of certification, there would be no need to specifically transfer occupants' names.

On the other hand, if the children grew up or family members passed away, the family may no longer qualify for the apartment because the composition of the family has changed.

Whether or not you can transfer an application, or change family composition probably depends on the individual co-op, and exactly what the original application asked for at the time when your family applied. Some ML buildings also have shorter, internal waiting lists, for people who want to transfer to a different size apartment. If you no longer qualify for a larger apartment they might bewilling to bump you up on the list for a smaller unit.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues