TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

governor spitzer closing mitchell lama loophole

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

governor spitzer closing mitchell lama loophole

Postby noose4 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:22 pm

i live in a former michell lama building built in the mid 1970's that opted out of the program 2-3 years ago, non section 8 tenants who were under the mitchell lama program made a deal where we would pay the landlord our current rent with an 8% raise each year till we reach market rent, i was wondering if and how the governors closing of the mitchell lama loophole would affect tenants in my building?

http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/general/public/preserve.htm
noose4

Postby TenantNet » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:47 pm

From what I've seen, it looks like a bit of PR wizardry from DHCR to make it appear they are actually doing something. Pataki was horrible, but Spitzer is not doing much that's meaningful. Of course DHCR has McKee and Lewis (who have sold-out tenants for years) shilling for them ... making the scam pretty obvious.

This had to do with the "unique and peculiar circumstances" clause that has been around for some time and didn't affect just Mitchell Lama tenants. Under Pataki, it was DHCR's way of ignoring the law. If they intend to tighten things up, then that's great, but in the scheme of things. it's pretty minor.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues