TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Is this legal?RE: apartment hunting

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Is this legal?RE: apartment hunting

Postby <always> » Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:05 pm

I received an application for low income housing in Utica NY. But as part of the application they want me to get a security clearance check from the sheriffs dept, go to the utica city court for arrest record information and last but not least they want me to contact the law enforcement agencies of my previous residence and request a police background check. I'm supposed to have all these forms notarized and either present them to the appropiate agencies in person or by mail along with money orders ranging from $5.00-$15.00. I've never heard of anything like this and I'm just wondering is this legal?
<always>

Re: Is this legal?RE: apartment hunting

Postby <astor> » Sat Apr 13, 2002 10:32 am

to always.:

WELCOME to the 21st century!

In an effort to increase security AND to make subsidized housing an enjoyable situation, we must find out if you are worthy of the city spending any more money on you.

Therfore you must not be a criminal, and you must have some decent references from past landlords, in order to meet the NEW STANDARD that we expect for giving you our hard earned tax money.

Also wouldnt it be real nice to be able to walk to the store at night to get.... say toilet paper and NOT be afaid to do so?

I think that is a really really kewl idea!
<astor>

Postby TenantNet » Sat Apr 13, 2002 11:47 am

As he always does (no pun intended), Richard does not answer the question and instead attempts to put the onus on the original poster. And with that, we will be cutting off Richard's access.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby dakellner@kcdlaw.com » Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:30 am

I am not aware of any laws broken by any of these background requests. I guess the bottom line is that if you think the requests are too onerous, rent somewhere else—and make sure the landlord knows why you went elsewhere.
dakellner@kcdlaw.com

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues