TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

eviction warning after 1st month...

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

eviction warning after 1st month...

Postby lshfit » Sun Jun 09, 2002 11:31 am

Hello-

My boyfriend and I moved into an apartment on the upper east side on may 1. I did not get approved for the lease, however he did-- and my father is the guarantor on the account.

my boyfriend was away at the time the rent was due, so i sent in a check from my checking account-- even though i wasn't supposed to-- bc i wanted the check to be there on time.

Today, he got a letter returning my check, and asking him to confirm his residence-- they want an electric bill, his license and proof of payment on electric bill-- why he didnt pay the rent, who i am and do i live in the apartment-- or they will proceed with the eviction process.

Thing is, i opened the con ed bill in my name. (i always do-- we've been living together for over 2 years, i always handle the bills). We just opened a joint checking account, that he will resubmit for the rent-- and so he can respond and explain that i am his girlfriend. he has a california license, not ny. i'm so worried we will be evicted.

has this happened to anyone at all?? Does anyone have any suggestions? We wrote them a long letter explaining everything in detail, and got a letter from coned stating the electric bill has been switched to his name. i don't know what else to do at this point!

any suggestions are welcome. thank you so much.
lshfit

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues