TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Lease ending, landlord says wants to renovate, won't renew

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Lease ending, landlord says wants to renovate, won't renew

Postby kwixotik » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:20 am

I've been in a market-rate (but reasonable) studio apartment in midtown for a year. I was hoping to stay for a few years at least, if the rent doesn't increase exorbitantly.

However, the landlord just left me a voicemail saying that they would not be renewing my lease Sept 1 because they have construction plans for the apt.

Do I have any recourse? They offered to let me know what other units are available in the building, but I have a feeling they'll be much more expensive.

I'd like to resolve this amicably and not get to the point of them having to evict me, but having less than two months' notice to come up with first last and deposit on a new apt is kind of ridiculous.
kwixotik

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:25 am

Assuming you are not rent stabilized, the lease ends and that's it. LL is not required to give you notice. If you were month-to-month, then 30 days' notice would be required.

Have you checked to see if you could be/should be rent stab? Do you know if the "construction" plans are just for the unit, or the building. If the latter, I would do some more checking on prior RS status, anti-harassment regs, etc. The latter depends if you live in certain districts.

OTOH, it might make sense to see what they are offering.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments