TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

conedison

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

conedison

Postby <jen> » Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:29 pm

I have lived in a nregulated nyc apartment in a run-down regulated bldg with a sneaky lying landlord for three months.

Gas and electricity were provided when we saw the place, and ever since we moved in they have been on. Four conedison envelopes have come for the previous tenant since we've been there which we give to the super. Now the last new apt I had, ConEd sent the "apartment resident" a notice about two weeks after I moved in saying no one is paying, sign up and pay. Why haven't they sent one here? I am pretty sure the landlord said utilties were included in the rent. She claims they are not. The lease is a form and says they are not included but it says a lot of other things that aren't true, like the bldg has 2-5 units, etc.

My question is, can /would ConEd shut off the service without sending a generic notice to the apt. resident?

Thanks.
<jen>

Re: conedison

Postby Cranky Tenant » Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:20 pm

If ConEd issued a turn-off notice they'll turn the electricty off whenever they get around to it -- unless you notify them. I had a situation over a year ago where they issued a notice, I sent them a check for the full amount, and they turned the electricity off three months later anyway. It took all day to get it turned back on and they charged extra for it.

It's really your responsibility to notify ConEd and set up an account with them rather than wait for them to catch up with you. If they're sending bills to the last tenant, obviously the last tenant was paying them and it's not included in the rent.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby consigliere » Thu Mar 14, 2002 6:35 pm

I think you should contact Con Edison and let them know when you moved into the apartment. Con Edison will probably ask you to provide them with a copy of your lease, so they can prorate the first bills for gas and electricity.

If the lease says that gas and electricity aren't included in the rent, you'll have to pay Con Edison.

You can file a complaint with DHCR about the landlord having you sign a lease for a non-stabilized apartment (a building with 2 to 5 units), and for failing to provide a Rent Stabilization rider, if that's the case.

consigliere

Postby <ralllph> » Tue Mar 19, 2002 7:23 pm

Jen:

YOU have to investigate you living situation....you are probably entitled to a rent stbailized lease if there is 6 or more apartments......some landlords come up with excuses like a super, or I live in one so its only 5 rentable units which is a lie.

If utilities are INCLUDED in the rental, chances are the apartment is Illegal, since con ed wont install a meter if the apartment has no certificate of occupancy.

So you have a lot of question you need answers for.....and YOU might MAKE MONEY if the answers are coorect.
<ralllph>

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments