TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

What is going on?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

What is going on?

Postby sandryNYC » Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:36 pm

Ok. I skipped my first rent payment. I got the notice to appear in Housing Court, which coincided with when the rent for this month was due (first week of September). So, I make out a check for the back rent due and I send an online check to the management company for my normal monthly rent. My rent is considered late if received after the 10th of the month. The weekend before I had to show up in Housing Court (September 12, a Thursday), I received a letter from the management company returning my check for this month's rent *uncashed* telling me that they can't accept partial payment (this rent had nothing to do with the back rent. The back rent amount was different) and that I had to provide a check with the whole total. So I went to my bank and cashed back the two separate checks. It took one business day (Friday) to have the funds clear. On Monday, the day before I had to go to Housing Court (on Tues, the 17th), I got a cashier's check for the back rent amount plus this month's rent. I delivered the check in person and the case was "discontinued without prejudice" in Housing Court.

Just today, I've received a notice of eviction!!!! and the landlord is telling me I owe $200 for this month's late fee, when it was the LL that returned this month's check....

Heeeeellllppp!
sandryNYC

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments