TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Renewal Lease?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Renewal Lease?

Postby <Jerry> » Sun Mar 03, 2002 5:32 pm

I live in a non-regulated market apartment in a Manhattan co-op building. I have been living here for one year and my lease ends on March 31. I would like to renew, but I haven't received a renewal form from my landlord--even though he said he would send one. I asked several times and am getting worried. I've always paid my rent on time and haven't been a complainer. Is there a mimimum time in which the landlord must notify me if he desires not to renew the lease? I could not find any provisions regarding this on the lease. What are my rights? Is their a state/city housing authority I can contact with these and other questions? Thanks in advance.
<Jerry>

Re: Renewal Lease?

Postby <ralph> » Mon Mar 04, 2002 8:27 pm

Well do you want to stay?

What does your lease say about renewals? It could be automatically renewed for a year if you dont request that it be terminated on March 31st.

Or if the lease says it turns into a month to month lease which is the standard procedure if notihing else is in writing. So your aprils rent will be the same as your march's rent, they would have to give you a FULL 30 days to increase your rent.

so what exactly does your lease say?
<ralph>

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments