TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Early termination

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Early termination

Postby <confused> » Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:59 pm

I need to get out of my lease early. I have given my landlord 60 days notice. He is holding over 3 months worth of security deposit. I wanted to use the security deposit to cover my last 2 months of rent so he is only holding 1+ month in security when I leave. My landlord told me if I do not pay rent for the next two months he will not rent the apartment to anyone new. Any suggestions?
<confused>

Re: Early termination

Postby <BB> » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:44 pm

Someone was in a similiar situation last month, and I posted a reply. Take a look through last months (February) Forum archives (the link is at the top of the page). Or you can do a search through the past forums.
Try: lease termination, breaking lease
Best of Luck!
<BB>

Re: Early termination

Postby jrsnyc2001 » Thu Mar 28, 2002 5:07 pm

(i have tried contacting Dan McIntyre, with no luck)

I really need some help/advice, hoping you can help.

I currently rent a private, non rent stab apt in lower west side of manhattan.

Lost job about 4 months ago, called landlord to ask about a rent reduction about 2 months ago. During conversation he stated that he could not reduce rent, he suggested however, if I wanted to break lease that would be okay to do.

Thought about it for a couple of weeks, decided to take him up on offer, we worked out when last month would be (he stated april 1st, may 1st at latest) and he told me that real estate broker would be contacting me to show apt.

He has 1 month rent and 1 month security in escrow. Told him that last month would be covered by last month he is holding, he agreed.

Landlord then did not return phone calls for a couple of weeks, said he was going to europe.

Yesterday received registered letter from landlords attorney informing me I am responsible for duration of contract (another 4 months).

Landlord has still yet to return calls.

Cannot afford apt/thought we had an agreement.

Do I have any rights?

Help!

Thnx
jrsnyc2001

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments