TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlord a hoarder. Trash on porch?

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlord a hoarder. Trash on porch?

Postby jec81 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:13 pm

I have lived in my current apartment for over a year and I am getting fed up with the landlord's hoarding tendencies. He lives in this house on the first floor (though he owns many other properties). He is a hoarder with a disgusting apartment that is filled with piles of trash, which is no help to our persistent (but tolerable) roach problem.

But what really bothers me is when his hoarding spills over into our common areas, specifically the front porch, which is typically laden with odd objects (old vacuums, boxes, broken tables) and chairs no one ever sits in (including a series of swivel office chairs).

I HATE having to come home to look at this shit. If it isn't ugly (piles of old clothes, broken furniture that sits for months because he thinks someone will buy it from him on cragislist), it is dangerous (many broken boards with nails sticking out, expired car seats he was trying to sell).

What right do I have as a tenant to complain about this? I think he should be required to keep the porch clear. I'd tolerate the chairs even (though seriously, office chairs on the porch?) but the piles of boxes and bins and yard waste and old clothes are too much.

We're good tenants and have put many hundreds of dollars and dozens of hours into making our apartment livable. I'd love to be able to come home without a sinking feeling every time I walk in the door. Any advice? (And no, I haven't talked to him about it, yet... he's old and stubborn and tends to hold a grudge against "bad tenants.")
jec81

Re: Landlord a hoarder. Trash on porch?

Postby TenantNet » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:43 pm

You have to distinguish between a person who keeps junk and a real hoarder. Usually the latter is inside, not on a porch. Research the Collyer Brothers and you'll see what hoarding really is.

If it's real hoarding I would call the Dept. of Health, or the Fire Dept if it's a real fire hazard or blocking egress. But be aware the LL will likely not appreciate your turning him in. You could offer to help him clean things up.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Landlord a hoarder. Trash on porch?

Postby jec81 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:56 pm

He's a hoarder. I have been in his apartment. There are huge piles of trash in every room and to get around you have to follow pathways. A peek into his front bay windows reveals approximately 200 cardboard shipping boxes he is saving for some reason.
jec81

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments