TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

LL Lives Abroad -- How To Sue Him

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

LL Lives Abroad -- How To Sue Him

Postby troke » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:33 pm

My LL lives abroad, in Germany, and I don't know the address. I pay the rent by wire transfer. The lease lists his address for notice purposes as the same as my apartment. If I were to sue him, I don't think I can serve him with the complaint at my apartment. Is there any requirement under the RPPL that a residential LL maintain an address for service of process within NY? Its owned by a natural person, not a corporation.
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:26 pm

Re: LL Lives Abroad -- How To Sue Him

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:07 pm

If it's a corporation, check the NYS Dept. of State

You can check the HPD Online here
Look at the "Property Owner Registration Information"

You can check the DOF Acris database.

You can get a rent history from DHCR (if the unit was ever registered).

Or you can withhold rent and have him sue you in Housing Court - that depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
Posts: 9648
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2002 2:01 am
Location: New York City

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests