TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Rent Stabilization and deregulation murder tricks.

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Rent Stabilization and deregulation murder tricks.

Postby Cylon452 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:11 pm

I have a few questions:

I was looking at fact sheet number 24 and 26:

26 Vacancy Lease Rent Increases.
24 Major Capital Improvements (MCI)

http://www.nyshcr.org/Rent/FactSheets/orafac24.htm
http://www.nyshcr.org/Rent/FactSheets/orafac26.htm

History:
The building is located in downtown Brooklyn has been sold for about 1.8 million. We had 8 tenants. Two moved out and the new landlord is already
modifying both two units.

Unit 1:
This unit was under something call preferential rent. Tenant was paying 1,100 per month. Lease expired an the old landlord wanted 1,700 for lease renewal before building was sold. Tenant couldn't afford it and left.

I went to DHCR on there behalf and they told me the structure of limitations ( 4 years ) has expired and there was nothing they could do for them. So now that unit as far as they are concerned is 1,700 per month.

Now the new landlord was to charge over 2,400 for that unit to deregulate that unit. BUT - fact sheet 26 say he cant charge more then 20 percent of 1,700 for Vacancy Lease Rent Increases.

In addition Landlord is getting ready to modify apartment to go for another (24 Major Capital Improvements (MCI) ) increase. That unit was already redone 5 years ago - new stove, frig, ceiling fan with a light, sanding floor, new bathroom utilities. What can he charge for MCI?

Unit 2

Has a tenant that has preferential rent. New landlord increase them to 2,000 from 1,700 per month. I'm in the process to getting them to DHCR at 55 Hanson place to challenge this. Also Old landlord did not use the legal forms for initial rental agreement and rent renewal. I believe they have a case for review and adjustment.

HallWays:

In addition the landlord is repainting the hallway and placing rubber tiles over existing mosaic tiles that have NO damage. I have the pictures. Why fix what is not broken. From my understanding i cannot be charged for a paint job and floor job in the hall ways - is this true ? No new boiler has been installed and we pay our own electric and gas.

Final 3 quick questions:

For the first unit - can i challenge for a unit that has not already to make sure the landlord does the right thing concerning the laws of the RGB and DHCR Capital improvement.

His plan is to deregulate - mind is to stop him from dirty tricks.

I'm collecting disability - if some unit go Condo or Coop which is a landlords wet dream - can i still stay here and refuse to be part of Condo/Coop.

Can i also represent other tenants on there behalf without them knowing about it. They may be paying too much and more likely do not know there rights. I just don't want this landlord to get away with rent and deregulation murder.
Cylon452

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments