TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Bed Bugs Situation Not Disclosed At Lease Sign?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Bed Bugs Situation Not Disclosed At Lease Sign?

Postby LouieBrown » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:47 am

On the day I (and bf) signed the lease, the landlord was very annoyed and gave me an attitude about me wanting to spend time reading the lease. In order not to annoy him further, I signed the list and every single page, he explained or at least went through a short summary of what each page means. Once we reached the bed bug history page, he just casually said that we try to be wary of bed bugs and to never buy used furniture. That's it. After we signed the papers, it was his turn to sign all the papers. omegle xender Everything was going fine until the bed bugs page and he took a long while before he checked something on the paper. I didn't ask what he checked as I thought it was harmless. He did not explain anything about the checked mark either. Little did I know, 3 days after I signed the lease, I read the lease papers again and the check stated: "During the past year the building had a bedbug infestation history that has been the subject of eradication measures. The location of the infestation was on the X floor(s)." I feel absolutely blindsided on. Is there a case to be had?
Last edited by LouieBrown on Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
LouieBrown

Re: Bed Bugs Situation Not Disclosed At Lease Sign?

Postby TenantNet » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:37 am

Did the page look like this?
https://hcr.ny.gov/system/files/documen ... 3/dbbn.pdf

Also see
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/health/he ... nants.page

There is a form you can get to lodge a complaint with DHCR. But to be honest, I don't know what DHCR would or could do. You probably would do better complaining to HPD/311 or filing a HP Action in Housing Court ... when it reopens.

Having had bedbugs about 6 year ago, yes, they are a royal pain and nuisance. But you can get over them with a number of strategies, most of which you can find by using Google. I just slept in another room until they died off. You do not have to discard all your clothing. You can get a mattress cover that is BB resistant. Best is to not allow other people into your apartment.

I would be more concerned about COVID. BB will go away, If you're not lucky, COVID can kill.

What do you want to do, move out? Seems the LL did disclose, albeit at the very last second. You didn't say you actually had the critters. Welcome to NYC.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments