TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

DHCR Inspections in Buildings w/ Tax Benefits

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

DHCR Inspections in Buildings w/ Tax Benefits

Postby modernity » Wed May 07, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi all,

I've read the reference manual on Landlord Access, but was curious if there are any specific provisions for inspections conducted by DHCR but not at the tenants request? It sounds like it is for a landlord's compliance with the requirements of a low income tax credit or some other form of state financing the development received. DHCR wants to inspect some units, including mine.

However, I thought this was generally done by HPD? Has something changed? I've also been living there a while and never had this happen.

I generally don't have an issue with this, but at the same time it's a hassle to change my schedule, to make sure my apartment is in the kind of shape I would show to strangers, and this type of access is not in my lease— does it fall under a general provision, similar to if a landlord wanted to have a bank inspect apartments for appraisal? Does the State count as an agent of the landlord in this case?

Is there a different level of required notice for LIHTC developments? I was under the impression about five business days of written notice was appropriate notice, and for us to work out an amenable time. I'm generally not at home during the hours suggested, but would be happy to accommodate something in the early evening.

Also, do these inspections have anything to do with me? Or simply the building?

Thanks in advance,
modernity

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments