TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Who is or is not a tenant

Moderator: TenantNet

Who is or is not a tenant

Postby Free_ft » Sun Oct 06, 2002 6:25 pm

My landlord is raising my rent, her reason is that she feels my girlfriend is at my place so frequently that see is a tenant. Regardless of how often she is at my house, if my girl friends take resident some where else, and her name is on her lease, and her rent is paid. She can't be a tenant at my place too?????
Free_ft

Re: Who is or is not a tenant

Postby ChrisG » Mon Oct 07, 2002 11:22 am

have you got a lease? if that contract exists and hasn't expired yet, there's nothing she can do.

beyond that, she really doesn't have any business making any judgment about who you have over at your place (unless there was some weird clause in the lease). your girlfriend is your guest and she can hang out as much as she wants. you don't live in some 'spinster' boarding house from the forties, wherein the landlord could bar members of the opposite sex from visitng. your LL is just trying to get more money for nothing.

you can try to reason with her about this, but it'd be cool to just move in with your girlfriend and leave your LL wishing she hadn't taken you to task on the issue.
ChrisG

Return to General Discussion - beyond New York