TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Any NYC Tenant Lawyers Who Don't Suck?

Issues unrelated to specific categories below

Moderator: TenantNet

Any NYC Tenant Lawyers Who Don't Suck?

Postby CrappyLawyersNYC » Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:53 pm

Are there *ANY* NYC tenant lawyers who don't suck?

The first lawyer I hired is a Cornell Law grad, who had difficulty composing coherent, grammatically-correct sentences. Not a good sign.....Also never responded to an email.

The second now had me waste about 2 hours of my time sending him a case summary and related materials, then never got back to me, despite me being in an urgent situation.

I'd like a lawyer who is not a Freemason/OTO/B'nai B'rth/satanist who is in bed with the judges and landlords harassing me. Knowing how to read and write is a big plus!

If you fit that profile, and have the basic literacy skills that Cornell Law grads lack, I'd be interested in retaining your services.
CrappyLawyersNYC

Re: Any NYC Tenant Lawyers that Don't Suck?

Postby TenantNet » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:13 pm

First, we do allow lawyer complaints, within limits. See the Forum Rules:

6. If identifying landlords, attorneys, etc., speak to facts and how they impacted your rights as a tenant. Do not spout unsupported opinions, or make arguments based on gender, race, religion, heritage, and so forth...

So please keep those guidelines in mind. Please be careful when referring to organizations that might be associated with various religions or heritages.

Second, you need to be specific with what happened (or didn't happen), and how that impacted your case. Did they pad the bill with unnecessary fees? Be specific.

Based on your post, I can guarantee that no lawyer will respond to you.

And of course, disclosure, there are some tenant attorneys that do advertise on this site.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Any NYC Tenant Lawyers Who Don't Suck?

Postby CrappyLawyersNYC » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:20 pm

The main point of my post is not to complain about the failures I've hired to represent me so far - it's to determine if there are any who DON'T fit the profile of barely-literate, unresponsive, and useless lawyers that I've had, and give them a chance to post here in a way that indicates they have basic literacy skills, and respond to urgent communications.

I think I made it pretty clear what the problems were: I said they can't write at a high school level, despite their Ivy League pedigree. I said they don't respond to communications. I said they made me waste hours of my time writing a case summary, and then never responded.

I think that's sufficient to identify the problem with the crappy lawyers I've hired so far!

Would like to find someone who DOES NOT fit that profile! If there are any out there, let me - and all of us - know!
CrappyLawyersNYC

Postby TenantNet » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:52 pm

Again, no lawyer is going to respond to your initial post. There are limits on attorney advertising and solicitation: https://www.nysba.org/WorkArea/Download ... x?id=74526

Moreover, your post comes with a bit of attitude or a chip on your shoulder. Sure, I can understand your frustration, I've seen my share of bad lawyers. But it is better to express it in a way where one might be more willing to respond.

And after all, would any attorney say, "I was useless," or "I can only write at a HS level?"

BTW, in my many years of reading legal briefs, having an Ivy League background is no guarantee of writing ability. If that's the hang-up, then look for someone that went to a solid state school. Look for someone that has experience in the specific issue you are facing.

As a term of your retaining them, specify that they need to respond within 24-48 hours. Of course, you need to understand that most attorneys are juggling 40-50 cases and they can't always drop everything just to chat. And yes, many tenant clients just want to chat.

TenantNet

Postby CrappyLawyersNYC » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:59 pm

Yeah, no interest whatsoever in chatting. Would just like a lawyer who:

1) Has basic literacy skills.
2) Responds to urgent communications, especially when they had me waste hours of my time writing, compiling, and sending them basic info on the case.

So far, no luck.

When someone takes $600 of mine to write a barely-coherent letter that would embarrass a 4th grade elementary school student, I have a very good reason to have "attitude". If a lawyer has trouble with elementary-school level grammar, they shouldn't be practicing law, or much of anything else.
CrappyLawyersNYC

Postby TenantNet » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:06 pm

So find a lawyer, then interview him/her. Ask to see writing samples.

TenantNet

Postby CrappyLawyersNYC » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:08 pm

TenantNet wrote:
BTW, in my many years of reading legal briefs, having an Ivy League background is no guarantee of writing ability. If that's the hang-up, then look for someone that went to a solid state school. Look for someone that has experience in the specific issue you are facing.

Useless and unsolicited advice. I don't care what school they went to; but if they're practicing law, they should know how to read and write, something the Cornell grad couldn't do. The fact you have a problem with me calling this out is kind of weird too.
CrappyLawyersNYC

Postby TenantNet » Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:11 pm

OK, so let's close this topic as it's going nowhere.

TenantNet

Return to NYC General Discussion