TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Landlords Contractors cut Verizon Fios cable on purpose

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Landlords Contractors cut Verizon Fios cable on purpose

Postby brooklynstabilized » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:23 am

Hello. So myself, and my Mother who is disabled have been dealing with harassment from my Landlord ever since we filed complaints to HPD, and formed a Tenant Association to force him to do repairs. He’s emailed us saying my Mom smokes, and that she can’t smoke even though this isn’t on our lease. I also informed him that my Mom no longer smokes due to being diagnosed with COPD. They’ve complained that we keep the TV too loud as well.

Most recently they’ve had contractors working on the building with no permit in sight. Their contractors shut off power to our apartment 2 times which I have proof of because my security cameras all went down, and came up on their own. Plus my clock was knocked out, and my Mom was home. They denied their contractors did anything. They blamed my Moms TV. Just yesterday the same contractors cut our Verizon Fios wire. Now we have no cable, internet, or phone service. I emailed them to inform them of what their contractors did because these same contractors cut the Verizon Fios wire for apt 3L as well who is part of our tenant association. THey emailed me back saying that they’re sorry this occurred, and that going forward no wires are allowed to be installed through the window on the building due to a “Hazard”.

I told them that the Verizon tech is coming tomorrow morning to repair the wire, and they informed me that he wouldn’t be allowed to go through the basement, back yard, or roof to do repairs. They know he may need yard access to put a new wire that their contractors cut. Isn’t this illegal? What are my options? My mom needs that phone up because she’s elderly, and disabled and sick. Please help me.
brooklynstabilized

Re: Landlords Contractors cut Verizon Fios cable on purpose

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:01 am

Smoking is legal inside your apartment if there is no prohibition in your initial lease. And for rent stabilized tenants, the LL cannot change the terms and conditions of your lease at a later time. So if you stop smoking, do it for your health, not because the LL demands it.

If the TV is too loud - and that is relative and interpretive - there are ways to deal with that. It would be hard for the LL to prove that. But still, if a neighbor is bothered by it, try to work it out. You can add sound absorption material, put the TV in a different location, or even get headphones. Chances are the LL is just making an excuse to harass you.

Work with no permit? Call 311. Call your community board. Call the police. Call your elected officials. Don't let up.

Cutting a phone cable in our opinion, is harassment. You might have to file with DHCR, the city or the courts on that. I would talk to a tenant attorney for specific advice on which way to go.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby brooklynstabilized » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. The tenants did call 311 about the work. I know an inspector actually came yesterday, and left a note for the Landlord to contact them. The LL is definitely harassing us. They’re the only ones complaining about everything. They even harass the other tenants. The Verizon tech actually was able to splice the wire from inside. He was forced to put it through the window because the landlord had his contractor cut the wire and cover it with new bricks. The contractor also said that new windows would be installed so they may try to cut the wire again. The Verizon tech actually showed the contractors the wire, and told them not to cut it. It could be unplugged if they need it to be unplugged for work. Thanks again.
brooklynstabilized

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:55 pm

Inspectors are not supposed to leave notes. They are supposed to issue violations when there is one.

New bricks? That's construction and requires a permit. Call 311.

New windows? Could be a MCI. Document everything.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby brooklynstabilized » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:23 am

It was more of a notice. Well last night another Emergency Response Team from DOB came by and issued a stop work order for the building. He went in the basement and yard,and saw all of the debri with no paper work or permits. He also said they’re supposed to give the tenants some material about the construction which they didn’t do. So that’s good!
brooklynstabilized

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments