TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Working from home in Zone R7A

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Working from home in Zone R7A

Postby Thor11956 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:24 am

Hi Everyone,

I am a professional makeup artist who wishes to work from home. I live in a rent-stabilized apartment in Zone R7A. I have contacted my lawyer about this, but he is busy sometimes takes time in responding. Can any of you advise me on this? There is no commercial overlay on my street, but there are medical offices, yoga studios, law, and chiropractic practices in the same zone - same street too. I do not offer retail services and only see one client at a time. No storefront, but just a room in my apartment designated for makeup services.

Thanks
Thor
Thor11956

Re: Working from home in Zone R7A

Postby TenantNet » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:29 am

Please do not post the same question twice. We removed the duplicate and moved this to the RS area.

The zone designation will have little to do with your question. This is really not a DOB or zoning issue.

We just had a recent discussion on the forum about home business. viewtopic.php?t=10723

The only difference with your situation is that you bring clients in to your apartment. A litigious landlord might object. But it really depends on how discreet you are. See the previous discussion.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Thor11956 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:40 am

Thank so much, and I am sorry for breaking the forum rules. I will read more carefully before posting again.

Thor
Thor11956

Postby Thor11956 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:48 am

Also, I am pretty discreet, but the LL did find out yesterday and harrassed me by kicking my door in my face. I contacted my lawyer regarding a harrassment case today. Separate issue that has been going on for a while.

So far I have only had one client come to my RS home. I work part time in another city as a guest artist and am booked solid when I travel there. I expect to become this busy in NYC as I grow my business, in which case I will most certainly rent outside space. But for now, my clientle is slowing dripping in.
Thor11956

Postby TenantNet » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:08 pm

I still think it's not a zoning issue. But to digress, every zoning district designation will have associated Use Groups. See http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/pdf/zone/art02c02.pdf -- most lawyers will not understand this stuff; a zoning expert would help.

But in general your building will be subject to the building's Certificate of Occupancy (if any), and that is probably all residential.

As for what happened, with some LLs they just get hot under the skin and the anger dies down (in some cases). So I wouldn't do anything right away. Actually it's up to the LL to do something.

The other discussion is really about one person with a computer. When you do something that impacts the buildings (i.e., non-domestic trash), then you're exposed. Clients coming in might also cross the line.

I knew a guy who was a professional barber (high-end) and had occasional people come to his unit. His bedroom had a barber chair. I don't know by he probably paid off the super to keep quiet.

I don't know the bottom line if the LL brings legal action. Depends on the allegations made. But there might be some danger based on what you've said so far.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments