TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No Heat

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

No Heat

Postby Noheat » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:28 pm

What does one do when one lives in a chassidic area and the owners have converted to a Yashiva and they aren't giving heat especially at night, and they modified the boiler, and no one will look at it because you are the only one left in the building and the owners are influential?

The buildings are listed with multiple owners that are fronting for the ones with money that are backing them. I'm freezing and I can't do anything. I can't move. I've gone the whole nine yards including taking them to court and speaking with the fair housing people at Albermarle Rd. Etc. Been there, done that. And no one does anything. Not HPD, not DHCR, not the Dept of Buildings, not my lawyer, who blew me off and never bothered to let me know she was never trained in Landlord/Tenant Law. The politicians who are bought and paid for by the Chassidim. I can't even file harassment charges against them. The hell-hole I'm existing in is a nightmare.
No heat
Noheat

Postby queensborough » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:17 pm

Were you able to retain an experienced tenant lawyer? This situation sounds complicated.

I'm assuming your rent stabilized since you mentioned DHCR. Why can't you file harassment charges against the owners? Call 311 every day at report no heat. What happened to the other tenants?
queensborough

Postby TenantNet » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:11 pm

QB, you know that DHCR is a joke when it comes to harassment charges.

I would look to a different attorney.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Emeraldstar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:14 pm

Hi All
While you are looking for another attorney, try contacting the news media and see if they will run your story. A shame story frequently gets results.
Emeraldstar

Postby queensborough » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:45 am

TenantNet wrote:QB, you know that DHCR is a joke when it comes to harassment charges.

I only asked because OP stated he or she "can't" file harassment charges. Regardless of the fact that DHCR is a joke, why can't charges be filed?
queensborough

Return to Housing Court - NYC