TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Sublet before or after I sign renewal lease?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Sublet before or after I sign renewal lease?

Postby fnbdave » Wed May 21, 2003 11:19 pm

I live in a rent stabilized apt and I just got my renewal lease in the mail which takes effect in Sept. I want to sublet my apartment for the next 2 years which is the term of the lease. Should I sign it and then ask landlord permission or should I get landlord permission before I sign?

Can the landlord deny my request for subletting? I have lived in the apt for over 20 years and just want to spend time away traveling so thats why I want to sublet. Thanks!
fnbdave

Re: Sublet before or after I sign renewal lease?

Postby fnbdave » Thu May 22, 2003 2:41 pm

The person I want to sublet to is a really good friend from work so I'm not worried abotu that. I'm going to charge him exactly what I pay. I know the LL can tack on 10% a month to that right??

So am I to understand that the LL will make me conduct criminal checks, credit, etc on my friend? If so how do I do that and how much will it cost?

Lastly, when my friend sublets from me he will be bringing his brother with him? Can they both reside in the apartmnent during the sublease? It's a 1 bedroom.
fnbdave

Postby jot0n0 » Fri May 23, 2003 9:07 am

Just to expand upon what has been discussed, if your friend doesn't make rent payments to you, you're still responsible to LL for the rent. Also you're responsible for the action/damages caused by sublettee, so you should also collect a month security deposit from sublettee. If LL does bring civil action, your credit reputation will be on the line since you are the leaseholder of record for the apartment.

Interesting paradox Me Again brings up, don't rent to a family member or a friend whom you know and trust, but rent to a total stranger which you know nothing about, save for what a credit/background check provides.
jot0n0

Postby jot0n0 » Fri May 23, 2003 4:27 pm

Me Again,

Don't get me wrong, but I'm in total agreement with on not doing business with family and friends, but sometime it's a no win situation. Using this poster's situation as an example, if a family member or friends offer to sublet the apt, but you refuse and instead rent to a stranger, you would probably lose a couple party invites. Either way it's gamble.
jot0n0

Postby fnbdave » Sat May 24, 2003 11:43 am

Thanks for the info guys.. I am not concerned about who I sublet to as much as how much of a right I have to sublet the apartment and to let the sublettor have a roommate...I just want to be clear that the LL can not turn me down for this in any way?
fnbdave

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments