TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Browser reports tenant.net as 'non-secure' website

Moderator: TenantNet

Browser reports tenant.net as 'non-secure' website

Postby mkzv7 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:24 am

While registering at tenant.net, my browser continuously prompted me that the website is not secure.

This can sometimes be due to an expired certificate. However, it is more likely to mean that the website is in fact non-secure, which would be bad for tenants.

Can the people in charge of tenant.net look into this?

Thanks.
mkzv7

Re: Browser reports tenant.net as 'non-secure' website

Postby TenantNet » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:08 pm

Thanks. We're aware of the problem. BTW, the domain of your email address, in our view, is not considered safe.

See the Forum Rules and http://tenant.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=28047
In our discretion, we can reject registrations using things like VPN, Tor or other email services.

Your IP address has been reported as spam and abuse (just Google it). I'm not implying you're behind that as IP numbers can be used by different parties, and your other post appears legitimate. We do check all new users. The combination of your choice of email provider and the IP report/location might have been too much.

But still, it's a concern and we watch for abuse closely. Real domestic email services like gmail, hotmail and so on are generally safe. We get several hundred fake registrations per day, and most are rejected. That's one reason why this board is pretty clean and focused.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby mkzv7 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:34 am

If it might be of assistance, here is the description of what I reported seeing:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/in ... =inproduct

I haven't seen much criticism of ________ as a reputable email provider to date. What little I have seen is by highly tech-oriented sources. It seems to be the provider of choice for many journalists and those concerned about privacy. GMail, Yahoo Mail, etc. have their uses, but they aren't considered to be privacy-respecting.
mkzv7

Postby TenantNet » Wed Apr 26, 2023 8:10 am

Yes, that's the SSL thing. We tried to install that, but there were some problems. It's on the list.

That domain is not the worst by any means, but we remain suspicious. I understand the desire/need for privacy and we go to considerable lengths to hide tenants' information from public view.

But some of these systems can hide the true IP, and consequently the location and intent of the registrant. We get a lot from RU, PK or CH and you know they are not looking for information on NYC rent stab. Some are sleepers, so we watch closely. Some even copy prior posts to seem legitimate. We deal with many journalists (most USA-based) and have yet to see any using that email domain. So it's a balancing act.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYS General Discussion