TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Problematic building and tenant(s)

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Problematic building and tenant(s)

Postby swiffles » Fri May 14, 2021 1:18 am

Recently moved into a co-op. Building is largely unfriendly. People are very rude and inconsiderate.

Today a tenant crossed a line IMO. I arrived at the building same time as a board members spouse unbeknownst to me then. I tried to enter the building first and this person cut past me while I was trying to enter with my young child. Best case, very rude and inconsiderate. Worst case, borderline aggressive. Either way, not great. I'm not okay with this behavior in any capacity where my child is concerned.

At a minimum I want to report this tenant to the board or management company or whatever. At a maximum, I don't think this board member should remain on the board. My SO thinks I should just drop it. Another data point. Not the first encounter I've had in the building with my child.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on how you dealt with a difficult building, unresponsive board or problematic tenant.
swiffles

Re: Problematic building and tenant(s)

Postby TenantNet » Fri May 14, 2021 3:24 am

First off, this site is about rights of tenant, not co-operators. (a co-op "owner" is technically a tenant of the corporation who owns shares, but in our view, still an owner).

Secondly, what you describe may be rude, but it's not an issue of tenancy rights.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues