TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

owner authorization for sro hotel tenants

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

owner authorization for sro hotel tenants

Postby babayaga » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:25 pm

In reference to 'owner's right of access' I read the following " c) Where an authorized agent or employee of an owner seeks access to an apartment, suite of rooms, or rooms, the authorization of the owner shall be in writing and the agent or employee shall exhibit such authorization to the tenant when access is requested."
I am a rent-stabilized SRO tenant in a hotel. My question is: does this authorization apply to hotels? I have read other sites and see no exceptions. I am not aware that other tenants had knowledge of this and used it. I would like to 'surprise' the manager, who is seeking access for repairs, with this but want to be sure I'm on the right track.
Thank you!
babayaga

Re: owner authorization for sro hotel tenants

Postby TenantNet » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:42 pm

That's in the Housing Maintenance Code, cited here:
http://tenant.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4837

Read the entire thread. There are differing requirements for inspection v. repairs. The city and the state also have differing requirements, and might some times be in conflict.

The HMC is for all housing in NYC, including SRO's. Any request for access (except in cases of real emergencies - not the fake ones they make up), must be in writing, with advance notice and describe what is to be inspected, or repaired.

We always view that as a negotiation, but understand that if you push too hard, they might take you to court. So be reasonable. Protect your rights, but don't make it impossible. If it's an inspection, that doesn't mean they can go through your drawers or closets. Of they say they want to look at a living room, unless specified that does not include a bedroom or kitchen, and so on.

For repairs, they have to be specific. They have to (in our opinion) tell you when the restoration people will show up. For example, if they have to dig inside a wall to repair a steam pipe, then they have to restore the plaster and paint. They should specify when the restoration will occur. It might be the next day, not the same day. But again, be reasonable.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Landlords Boy » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:57 pm

TenantNet wrote:...For repairs, they have to be specific. They have to (in our opinion) tell you when the restoration people will show up. For example, if they have to dig inside a wall to repair a steam pipe, then they have to restore the plaster and paint...
Not a good example: a broken steam pipe is almost always the sort of emergency where the landlord and/or his contractors will enter the apartment to do the repair without scheduling with or even informing the tenant beforehand.
Landlords Boy

Postby TenantNet » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:30 pm

OK, water pipe.

And many LLs make-up emergencies. Many years ago I got a knock on my door. The super was there with a plumber claiming they had to repair the water leak. There was no leak and the place was bone-dry. Then they wanted to knock a hole in the wall about 5-6 feet above the floor. The pipe was about 2 feet above the floor. They often just make these things up.

Yes, I know that internal leaks might not be visible until a floor or two below, but that wasn't the case in that instance. And the worst thing is to allow them breaking up walls on the mere suspicion that there might be a leak somewhere.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues