TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Was my apt. deregulated legally in 1987?????

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Was my apt. deregulated legally in 1987?????

Postby sammmy » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:03 pm

I did get the DHCR records for my apt, it stopped in 1987 at $**). Said it was deregulated. Problem: I pay market rate, if I persue this and the landlord finds out (he will have to be informed I am looking in to this) there is NO DOUBT I will be out. What can I do? My rent , as all rents, are outrageous and goes up $$$hundreds every year. And I have a special needs daughter....
How do I find out if the apt. was deregulated legally? Can I hire someone?
sammmy

Re: Was my apt. deregulated legally in 1987?????

Postby TenantNet » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:04 pm

Many landlords improperly register (or fail to register) units with DHCR. Although there is a 4-year statute of limitations on overcharges, that does not hold for challenges to rent stab status.

Did the rent history supply a reason for the deregulation? You will need to analyze the rent history before and after the supposed deregulation and see if the LL's reasons hold water. Are there tenants who have been there since that time? They can supply information.

Before you do anything you must do ALL the needed research.

The LL will not know if you requested a rent history, but they will know when/if you file a challenge.

You can hire tenant lawyers but that can get expensive.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby sammmy » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:42 am

How can I find out more without my landlord knowing? It just says on the DHCR paper 'high rent vacancy Exempt' That was 1998 and the rent was $888.00
sammmy

Postby sammmy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:45 pm

Can anyone suggest a PI who can get into records etc?
sammmy

Postby asbandjls » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:16 pm

sammmy wrote:How can I find out more without my landlord knowing? It just says on the DHCR paper 'high rent vacancy Exempt' That was 1998 and the rent was $888.00

Do a search on internet for "high rent vacancy Exempt".

Scroll down to:

How Do I Know If My Tenant Is Rent Stabilized (Or Not)? - See more at: http: address for the article here.

This article, although intended for Landlords, will give some explanation, how difficult it is to find out the facts related to rent stabilized status of individual apartments.

Then go to Housing Court and search on their computers for your landlord's name and the address of your building. Perhaps you find some useful information that way. Your Landlord won't find out that you did any of these searches.

You can ask for the detailed court case files, if any. Even then, your Landlord won't find out automatically, but the Court will record the dates who and when requested to see the court files (but your Landlord won't look for that information immediately after you received the info).

Once you are more informed, you could contact tenant friendly lawyers. They will have PIs if they think it is necessary to use PIs for more detailed search.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find out, in general, not the house address directly of course.
asbandjls

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues