TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Removing Name off NYCHA Lease

Public Housing (NYCHA), SRO, HUD, HPD, Mitchell Lama, Lofts, Coop/Condo

Moderator: TenantNet

Removing Name off NYCHA Lease

Postby Newyorker_81 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:17 pm

I've been living with my grandma since I was small in a housing development located in the Bronx. Her rent recently went up tremendously because of a recent job I got. So I decided to move out and take my name off the lease because there was no way I was going to give my grandma the difference for the rent to share a bedroom with someone. Anyhow I go to the management office to take my name off and they told me I had to bring in certain document to take my name. I offer to bring in a Con Edison bill with my name on it and my mother's address along with a notarized letter from my mom the person in which I am living with now to state that I am actually living there. The lady was very rude and said no she would not accept that. Only thing she would take is a bill and a lease with my name on it. My mother couldn't get her landlord to add my name to lease so we regenerated the lease, signed it and gave it to the lady at my grandmother's management office. Recently I learn that the lady sent a copy of this lease to my mother's management office so they can verify it. Now I'm really scare and worry of what can happen if they found out it is a fake. Can my grandmother get evicted from her apartment? Can my mom get evicted? and worse can I go to jail or be fine for giving a fake lease just because I wanted to take my name off my grandmother's?
Newyorker_81

Re: Removing Name off NYCHA Lease

Postby TenantNet » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:57 pm

Unfortunately we cannot offer advice on NYCHA apartments and tenants. NYCHA is in a world of its own and seems to make-up rules depending on the day of the week or how they feel any given moment. We don't have the experience with NYCHA to give accurate advice.

Besides your post is confusing and seems contradictory. You say you want your name off the lease, but then you say your grandma could get the LL to add your name to the lease. So, which is it? And -- if the LL isn't NYCHA, then who is it? Section 8 is not NYCHA necessarily.

Of course when tenants create fake documents, well what do you expect will happen?

I would go to Bronx Legal Services or Legal Aid (they do know how NYCHA works) and lay it all out for them. Tell them everything.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Removing Name off NYCHA Lease

Postby Gypsy_Doll » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:29 am

Ughhh this is so aggravating. Im having this issue. My son doesnt live here he rents a room!!!! This need to be changed! In todays generation they are roommating!!! Any new info on how i can fight this?
Gypsy_Doll

Return to Other NYC Housing Issues