TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

I'm a co-tenant, need to renew lease under my own name

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

I'm a co-tenant, need to renew lease under my own name

Postby cyril007 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:45 pm

Would appreciate any advice:

My credit is shot, so I rented an apt in Queens a year ago, with a friend as the primary name on the lease, and me listed as the co-tenant. I'm the only one living in the place, and paying rent (on time and under my name).

The leasing agent for the building promised to both of us a year ago at signing that after the first year it would be piece of cake to renew under my name, to let my friend out of it. If I'm a good tenant all year, which I have been.

Now the year is up, and of course, surprise-surprise, the agent claims he can't help, and the building manager who allegedly does make that decision, says no can do.

What options do I have? The agent did represent the landlord, and did make a promise, with both me and my friend present in the room, that the name on the lease would be changed to mine.
All I want is to renew the lease and relieve my friend of this.

Would appreciate any wisdom on this - thanks!
cyril007

Postby TenantNet » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:09 am

When you say agent, do you mean a person on the LL's staff, or a broker?

The only promises that can be upheld are those written in a lease.

Both names in the lease should be equal co-tenants. Yes, leases can be modified on renewal to remove one of the tenants. That happens all the time. But you might be confused as to the terms. Do you mean guarantor? That's something else altogether?

They are telling you they prefer not to do this. There's nothing stopping them from doing it.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments