TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

security deposit to renew lease

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

security deposit to renew lease

Postby jureen » Tue Mar 19, 2002 11:10 pm

I'm about to renew my lease but the management office inform me that i will have to give another security deposit is that legal? I've been a tenant for two years now and only had a problem with late rent twice.Please help me I need to know pronto because i'm suppose to take them the money in a few days.

Thanks
jureen

Re: security deposit to renew lease

Postby <BB> » Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:44 pm

I'm not 100% sure about the legal ramifications, but a lease is usually "renewed" on the original basis of your agreement, so whatever the security was, is what it should remain. Are you signing a completely new lease or renewing? I think there is a logical difference there. My suggestion is to call the Atty. General's office (or go to website), to find out more information. You could also try your local Housing Crt Pro Se attorney.
Best of Luck!
<BB>

Postby Cranky Tenant » Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:38 pm

When landlords renew a lease, they usually raise the rent, and ask for the difference between the original deposit and one month's deposit at the new rent.

At least some, if not all, landlords are required to keep your deposit in an interest bearing account. If you haven't received a statement, and the interest, this is a good time to apply it to the additional security deposit.
I'm a cranky tenant NOT a cranky lawyer.
Cranky Tenant

Postby jureen » Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:24 pm

They told me the rent will now be 15 dollars more plus I have to give another security deposit to renew the lease.I know that the rent can go up every year but to give another deposit in top of the one i gave when i moved it.I dont know it just does'nt sound right to me can you tell me if thats allow please let me know.

Thanks
jureen

Postby <rallph> » Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:41 pm

please explain another security deposit?

are they asking for another month? so you will have 2 months security?

are they asking for it to be raised to a full months security?

Did you pay a last months rent?
<rallph>

Postby consigliere » Wed Mar 20, 2002 8:53 pm

If the apartment isn't rent regulated, or if the lease doesn't have a provision for an automatic renewal or an option for the tenant to renew, the landlord doesn't have to renew the existing lease or enter into a new lease with the tenant.

What your landlord is proposing is a new lease, with a rent that is $15 higher than your current rent and with a larger security deposit. I don't see anything improper about that for a non-regulated apartment.

They told me the rent will now be 15 dollars more plus I have to give another security deposit to renew the lease.I know that the rent can go up every year but to give another deposit in top of the one i gave when i moved it.I dont know it just does'nt sound right to me can you tell me if thats allow please let me know.

consigliere

Postby jureen » Wed Mar 20, 2002 9:08 pm

What I mean by another deposit is that when i moved in two yrs ago I gave one months rent & security to move in.Last year they renew my lease and my rent when up but i was'nt asked for another deposit.But I had two late rents this year so now up lease is up and in order to stay they said the rent will go up again and you need to give another deposit.I pay my rent this month i dont own them anything.I need to know if its legal for them to be asking for another deposit.

Thanks
jureen

Postby <ASKED AND ANSWERED> » Thu Mar 21, 2002 12:31 am

How many times and how many ways are going to ask the same question?

For an unregulated apartment, the landlord doesn't have to renew your lease or offer you a new lease.

If the landlord is willing to renew your lease or offer you a new lease, he can ask for whatever amount of security deposi he wants.

DON'T ASK AGAIN.
<ASKED AND ANSWERED>

Postby <ralph> » Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:32 pm

And I ask again...HOW MUCH do they want?

another FULL month so you will have 2 months, or an addtional amount to make it a full months security

And did you pay a last months rent on the lease, so they will want a total of 3 months? that could be illegal......
<ralph>

Postby ChrisG » Sat Mar 23, 2002 2:11 pm

if they are asking for a new deposit, then maybe you can just ask them to return your previous deposit. it's kind of convoluted, but this is their logic, not yours. now if the new lease stipulates a 2-month deposit, then that's a different story.
ChrisG

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments