TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

No rent history for recent tenants

Rights for non-regulated tenants

Moderator: TenantNet

No rent history for recent tenants

Postby AnneBonny » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:09 pm

We just got our rent history for our unregulated(?) apartment...and there's nothing after 2013. Does that just mean that's when it became unregulated? Or should the non-stabilized tenants be listed, too?

None of the names on the history are the people whose mail we still get, whose names are still on the mailbox, who were listed in the payment system for months, etcetera. There have definitely been tenants since 2013. (We moved in March 2021.) Does this mean anything?
AnneBonny

Re: No rent history for recent tenants

Postby TenantNet » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:52 pm

Chances are that around about 2014 the LL deregulated the unit, in many cases for high rent from Individual Apartment Improvements (IAIs). Whether it was legal or not, that's another story.

Unregulated units are not required to be registered.

You need to do research, not just look at whose mail you get. This has been discussed many time on this forum. Look around.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby AnneBonny » Sat Jul 16, 2022 4:57 pm

Hi, thanks, I know I need to do research. This question was part of that research. Thanks for answering.
AnneBonny

Postby TenantNet » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:42 pm

The problem is there is no one way to deal with this, and not that many options that don't involve lawyers or forensic architects. That gets expensive. Tenants can file a case with DHCR, but without something more than just a suspicion, you probably won't get that far. I wish I could just point to a resource and say follow these steps, but as far as I know, that doesn't exist.

It would be great if tenants who actually got somewhere would post what they did that worked. But we don't get a lot of that here ... not many answers, just the same questions.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Non-Regulated Apartments