TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Utilities & subletting

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Utilities & subletting

Postby sforste » Sat May 11, 2002 12:23 pm

I'm currently subletting my rent-stabilized apartment and the utilities -- gas, electric, phone -- are still in my name. The guy who's living in the apartment would like to switch the utilities over to his name so he can claim an office tax deduction.

My question: Will putting the utilities in his name in any way damage my claim to permanent residence in this apartment?
sforste

Re: Utilities & subletting

Postby consigliere » Sat May 11, 2002 12:38 pm

I don't think you should let the sublessee put the utilities in his name. Why give the landlord any evidence that you don't intend to move back to the apartment?

Home office deductions are still tricky with the IRS. The sublessee's largest expense, the rent, is paid to you. Why should lesser expenses, like utilities, be in his name?

Just make sure that he pays the utilities, especially the phone bill. Or else you and he could wind up on Judge Judy or Judge Joe Brown, fighting over the phone bill.

I chose those two TV court shows because you'd both get free trips to California. Who wants just a round-trip MetroCard to appear on the People's Court or Judge Hatchett?

consigliere

Re: Utilities & subletting

Postby sforste » Sun May 12, 2002 3:40 pm

Thanks for answering.
sforste

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments