TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

I lost my key and Landlord is taking forever

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

I lost my key and Landlord is taking forever

Postby tsanchez » Thu May 09, 2002 7:32 pm

I lost my key over two weeks ago and have called twice to three times a week since trying to procure a replacement. The first three attempts ended with a message on their answering machine to which I received no call back. I've since talked to my landlady's assistant twice and both times he has responded with a noncommittal "I'll have to ask the Landlady". Is there any statute or law or right that I have to get a replacement key within a certain period?
tsanchez

Re: I lost my key and Landlord is taking forever

Postby Lilly » Thu May 09, 2002 8:37 pm

So how are you getting into your apartment?
LL is required to provide working lock and key, but I'm courious as to why you didn't keep a spare, make a copy of your key in the first place. Have a locksmith come and tell him you want to change the tumblers; it's cheaper than changing the entire lock, and you;ll get 2 enw keys.
Lilly

Re: I lost my key and Landlord is taking forever

Postby tsanchez » Fri May 10, 2002 2:36 am

My apartment is not the problem, it's the front door to the building. It's a magnetic lock so I can't copy the one key I do have and is oft times with my fiance, who lives with me. And the Landlady won't fix the intercom system for reasons unbeknownst to me so I can't call up to get buzzed in but have to have someone come down or wait until someone enters or leaves the building which can be quite bothersome when I work a night shift.
tsanchez

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments