TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can breaking a lease cost me because......

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Can breaking a lease cost me because......

Postby Myteefine » Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:42 pm

I have been living in a rent stabilized building for 1yr. I signed a lease for two years (due up in April 2003). My mom recently had a very sick mom that had to be taken care of ( in another Country) and she gave me her dog very small (17 pound)and and does not bark well trained. My lease states no pets but it was temporarily and I didn't think I should call my landlord to ask. Well into the two weeks he must have bark a lot when I went to work and someone called and complained. Around April 15th 2002. He (the LL)called me and threaten me that if I do not get rid of him soon I will be getting eviction notices. Thank god that day my mother was returning. My sick grandmother got sicker and my mom returned to the country to take care of her where again I had the dog. During this time I called him the LL (April 23) to tell him that I had the dog and that I was going to leave the apartment (by the end of the month)because if I stayed with the dog he was going to give me eviction papers and I have a 10month old child to think about. Now I know I shouldn't have the dog but I am not going to kick to the street. He is a well trained dog and does not destroy anything. He stated well you are breaking the lease and this is not fare and so on with the BS. I explained to him if I stay here with the dog which is temporary you will give me eviction papers and I can't afford that because I have a 10month old to think about. What can happen to me? In the meantime I am looking for an apartment. Pls someone help can't afford to pay backrent
Myteefine

Re: Can breaking a lease cost me because......

Postby Brooklyn Babe » Sun May 05, 2002 10:48 pm

Basically, you are breaching your lease and risk being evicted. Suggestion, find another person to take care of the dog.

read
So you want to keep a pet, but your lease has a "No Pet" Clause
http://www.tenant.net/Rights/pets.html
Also search Tenant net Forum Archives & Court Decisions using :
break lease, pet law, etc..
The above information is from a non-attorney tenant activist and is not considered or to be used as legal advice.
Brooklyn Babe

Postby Lilly » Sun May 05, 2002 11:06 pm

No offense, but your mother should have considered the fact that you can't keep a dog. Even if she didn't know the first time, she certainly knows now. It's her responsibility to see that her pet is cared for in her absence without jepordizing your tenancy.
Lilly

Postby Myteefine » Tue May 07, 2002 3:33 pm

I know that it is not my problem (about the dog)but it was only going to be temporarily and besides that the dog has stayed with me recently and in the past. It is a 15 pound dog and does not even bark alot. The dog is three years old and has stayed with me in the past. People from the building has seen me with the dog in the past even the Super and I think he turned his head pretending not to see me. I even have photos of the dog in the apartment. I was not going to give it to someone else or leave it in a shelter. Lilly you probably have no heart and is not a pet lover too bad maybe you will live longer if you had a pet.
Myteefine

Postby ChrisG » Wed May 08, 2002 9:47 am

well, then it sounds like you have your mind made up here, leaving us wonderng exactly why you felt the need to post a question here. you are worried about getting evicted over a dog but you are not willing to let anybody else take care of it. despite your judgment call on Lilly, you appear to be risking your tenancy (and the tenancy of your child) over a dog you know you are not supposed to have. i love pets, but you have to pick your battles wisely.

but considering that eviction is a complicated process that is probably even harder on the landlord than the tenant, i'd bet the LL is just trying to scare you and is not seriously considering eviction. but why take the risk?
ChrisG

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments