TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Nonpayment Petition

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Nonpayment Petition

Postby Cazmia1 » Thu May 11, 2023 11:17 pm

My landlord just filed a nonpayment petition against me. I have 2 questions:

1. In the petition, he states my unit is not rent stabilized. It is and I have a copy of an Article 78 decision to support this fact. Can this petition be dismissed based on the fact that my apartment is misrepresented as a dwelling that is not rent stabilized?

2. Only months ago, this landlord just finished a holdover against me which he lost, trying to claim I didn't occupy my (rent stabilized) unit as my primary residence. He says in order to start that case, he sent me back one of my money orders with a letter. He couldn't prove that, because when he provided the letter he sent, it did NOT have an address on it. He never sent me back my money orders. I checked with the cash checking place and during that entire 2022 holdover case, he didn't cash any of them. Don't I have grounds to sue for harassment for these tactics? I dont know how much my countersuit should be for in this respect. There were other ways he was harassing me as well, such as not providing any light in the public hallways for 2 years and broken entry locks that would lock us in the building, among other things. Only, every time we called 311, they could not get in and just closed the complaints.
He is suing for rent from September 2022 and some other months after that..
Cazmia1

Re: Nonpayment Petition

Postby TenantNet » Fri May 12, 2023 3:02 am

This is your third post in three different threads. Please keep things confined to one thread as chances are we already discussed some of the things in this, your latest post. The forum rules also state this.

I would also suggest you search on this forum for some of the things you are now raising. The search box is your friend. We can't keep answering the same thing over and over. Locking this thread, so please consolidate it all to one thread, and PLEASE, keep questions short and focused. If not here, the courts won't let you go all over the place.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments