TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

How Can I Report to SCRIE that I Don't Live

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

How Can I Report to SCRIE that I Don't Live

Postby leebo » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:16 pm

My dad has been on scrie for 15 years. I live with him and I found work which can push total household income above the $50,000 cutoff for scrie. That can make my dad lose scrie.

On his scrie renewal short-form, is there a way to report to the dept of finance that I no longer live with him although I still do so that he doesnt have to lose his scrie benefits?
leebo

Re: How Can I Report to SCRIE that I Don't Live

Postby TenantNet » Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:32 pm

I think you have a problem here. As you know, the household limit for SCRIE eligibility is $50,000. AFAIK that includes the income for all household members. While there might be some income that would be exempted, you would need to check with the Dept. of Finance and SCRIE/DRIE regulations to see what is and what is not counted. In general, regular income is considered to count towards the $50,000.

You want to know if there is a way to report that you no longer live with your father, although you do. You're asking if it's OK to make a false report. I don't think so and we are not going to suggest you do. If you want him to stay under the $50,000, then perhaps the thing to do is actually move elsewhere (or reduce your income).

Sorry.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: How Can I Report to SCRIE that I Don't Live

Postby TenantNet » Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:46 pm

Just a followup.

1. We locked this thread as it essentially asks us to approve of an act that got some guy from Queens in a boatload of trouble today with the Manh. District Attorney. There are ways to bend the system without doing something illegal.

2. On bending the system, you asked about this before (and I don't know what you've done in the last two years). But look at all the suggestions we made to you on the prior threads.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments