TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Hot water heater question

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Hot water heater question

Postby brooklynstabilized » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:05 pm

Good afternoon,

I live in a rent stabilized apartment and the new landlord recently renovated the whole building and got rid of the oil hot water heater which used to provide the tenants with hot water at no cost to us. They got rid of that hot water heater and went with separate electric hot water heaters. The issue is that it's now hooked up to our apartments electric and the electric bill is almost $200 dollars a month now. It used to be around $80.00 a month. I know the electric hot water heater is causing this. Are they allowed to change it like that forcing us to pay a much higher electric bill? They didn't notify us that it would make our electric bill double from what we always paid. Please advise. Thanks so much.
brooklynstabilized

Re: Hot water heater question

Postby TenantNet » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:50 pm

I think that's illegal. The NYC Housing Maintenance Code requires central heat/hot water unless exempted by the Building Dept. Search for "central heat" on this forum. It's been discussed a number of times.

Even if allowed by the city, as you are RS, the LL must seek modification of services from DHCR. And if not RS, I would say they can't pass the charge along during the term of the current lease.

Also the physical space the new water heater occupies reduces the space in your apartment for your use. That might be minimal, but it depends. I'd look at that.

Things may change down the road when Local Law 97 is implemented regarding climate change measures. But we're not there yet, and I'm sure there will be pushback from affected tenants.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments