TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Hardcopy RS Lease Renewal Mailed but asked to sign Docusign?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Hardcopy RS Lease Renewal Mailed but asked to sign Docusign?

Postby spideysensetingling » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:56 pm

Hi TenantNet,

Thank you for your help in the past.

I am officially RS, and this is now my second RS Lease Renewal.
My Property Management sent the recent Lease Renewal 37 days late but on the proper RTP-8 (though 8X10 not Legal 11X17 but I called DHCR and they said that wasn't a problem)?

I decided to let the late delivery slide and I signed the Lease Renewal, scanned it, and sent the hardcopy Certified Mail RRR two weeks ago.

I tracked the Certified Mailing on USPS and it said that a notice was left 10/15 but no one has accepted the Cert letter, so I emailed them (Prop MGMT) earlier today to say a notice was left at their business.

Their Response:
"Please note, we have not received it at our office and we do not have a team member assigned to do post office pick ups. Instead I will resend the lease to you via Docusign.
You can sign it that way for your convenience."

I am not comfortable with Docusign, I haven't used it before for Lease Renewals, and don't know if that's legit and will hold up in court?

I would rather have a hard copy trail and also receive a signed lease renewal back from them though that's highly unlikely they follow through.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Thank you.
spideysensetingling

Re: Hardcopy RS Lease Renewal Mailed but asked to sign Docus

Postby TenantNet » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:45 pm

I don't know what you mean by 8 x 10 (letter) vs 11 x 17 (tabloid). The RTP-8 is appears to be on legal paper (8.5 x 14). But yes, it doesn't matter. OTOH, there are rules about the size of the type, so while the content might be OK, the readability could matter ... if you wanted to challenge something on the merits, which I don't think you do.

What matters is what the LL put on the form, if that was legal - dates, amounts, etc.

Read the back of the form VERY carefully. The instructions indicate what a LL can/can't do. https://hcr.ny.gov/system/files/documen ... llable.pdf

The notice must be sent to the tenant within 90 to 150 days prior to the end of the current lease. If late, then the tenant has options. (see 2nd paragraph).

Look at your original lease carefully. Some leases require notices to be sent by certified mail. While some may ignore that, we strongly advise that for lease renewals, a tenant send it certified mail, which you have done.

Now understand that during COVID, many offices had people working at home, not in the office, so they might not get the cert. mail. However, for many, COVID is practically over and many offices are re-opening. (however look at the news, it appears it may be on an upswing again).

I'm not familiar with Docusign. As you say, you are uncomfortable with it. That seems reasonable and we know of nothing that would require you to use Docusign. I would email them back, reassert that it was sent to them by cert, mail and that they should pick it up, execute it and send back an original to you. If you want to give them a little leeway, then don't insist on the 30 days to return it. I'm sure you understand that technology changes. But right now you would rather not and we think that's OK.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Hardcopy RS Lease Renewal Mailed but asked to sign Docus

Postby spideysensetingling » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:28 pm

Thank you for your reply
spideysensetingling

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments