TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

A tip for more the more dilligent RS tenants

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

A tip for more the more dilligent RS tenants

Postby cheeseburger69 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:49 pm

I have an open overcharge case with DHCR going back several years now.

The rent history for my unit shows *EXEMPT APARTMENT - REG NOT REQUIRED* for a 7 years after which the rent jumped more than $1100.

I've tried to establish who had previously lived in the unit using a variety of methods, and today I searched public records at housing court and found a case in which my landlord brought a previous tenant in the unit for nonpayment of rent -- in the middle of the span during which no registration was reported to DHCR.

I'm not sure how this will bolster my case with DHCR, but a note for the more informed tenants here that this is an option to further research your unit and it's history.
cheeseburger69

Re: A tip for more the more dilligent RS tenants

Postby TenantNet » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:33 pm

In general, if this has to do with your case, and if that has been discussed on a different thread, then new posts should be a continuation of the existing thread, not as a new posts. To do the latter would prompt me to ask all the questions I probably asked before, and get me mad. (it's also in the Forum Rules). That's just in general, but this post is just a bit related to your existing case. So please offer any answers on the previous thread. (I'll lock this thread to avoid chatter).

Having said all that...
- which borough's housing court?
- public records, the file or on the computer?
- the case files are often sent to archives if the case is old enough. You can file a form where they will retrieve the file - may be worth doing. In my experience it took then several months and I had to phone them more than once. Housing Court clerks are not always the most helpful, but get a phone number.
- In some cases, you can find case information on eCourts, SCROLL or NYSCEF (google all of them). These days many of the documents are scanned and available as PDF files.
- make sure whatever you file with DHCR relates directly to your case, or can be used to undermine the LL's credibility if he makes some excuse which the document exposes as false.
- just to be clear, his bringing another tenant's non-payment to housing court, does not in itself, undermine the lack of registration for your apartment.

And yes, thanks for the informative post.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments