TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Covid-19 special allowance for RS tenants?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Covid-19 special allowance for RS tenants?

Postby SlopeGuy » Fri May 08, 2020 6:08 pm

I was watching CBS2 news & the newscaster said briefly that RS tenants would now be allowed to pay a month's rent by requesting the LL to use the security deposit in lieu of a normal rent payment.

I personally have been having rent difficulty for my overpriced "affordable" unit in Brooklyn and would welcome this, if it is allowable as I'm already paying half my income in rent per month.

I want to know if this is in fact true or is it misinformation?
Last edited by SlopeGuy on Sun May 10, 2020 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlopeGuy

Re: Covid-19 special allowance for RS tenants?

Postby TenantNet » Fri May 08, 2020 7:51 pm

There are a lot of proposals out there, mostly pandering from politicians. And of course the news media hasn't a clue, seriously, they don't know the difference between RC and RS.

What CBS was referring to was the latest Executive Order by Gov. Cuomo. Within the tenant community there is a lot of apprehension over this idea. Tenant lawyers have raised a lot of questions on his latest order.

The actual text of the Governor's order is at https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/no-202 ... -emergency

See Executive Order 202.28

The idea to allow tenants to pay one month's rent using their security deposit is nothing more than a quick fix, and will come back and bite you later on. You will still have to replenish the deposit, or sign-up with an insurance company.

I do understand the problems with fake affordable units (a much longer discussion). There is also the rent strike movement ... which also brings a bunch of problems ... and run by groups that in our opinion, have sold-out tenants.

We're not suggesting you throw money at the LL, but from what we've seen, nothing so far will get tenants off-the-hook. If you're looking for a quick fix, then yes, it's true, but in reality only a delay of the inevitable. Consider, of course, that as of now, there are no evictions in Housing Court.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments