TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can calling 311 lead to my being kicked out?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Can calling 311 lead to my being kicked out?

Postby helpme19 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:52 pm

The LL of my rent-stabilized apartment - for which I have never been on the lease - will likely be formally evicting me as their attorneys have served papers asking me to quit and surrender the apartment. The apartment is a duplex that was informally split into two living units. The cellar living unit where my now deceased roommate lived is in very bad condition - broken piping in the bathroom, mold on the walls, ceiling falling apart, water damage, etc. The paramedics who hospitalized my roommate were concerned that this section of the apartment was uninhabitable. The LL is aware of most of these issues.

What would happen if I called 311 and had them look at this section of the apartment? Would this have any impact on the eviction proceedings? As in, could they deem the whole apartment unlivable and force me to leave sooner? Or could the renovation process potentially extend me stay? Or could the threat of calling 311 help me in negotiating with the LL?
helpme19

Re: Can calling 311 lead to my being kicked out?

Postby TenantNet » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:10 pm

How many times do we have to say this? Do not start new threads on the same issue. Read the Forum Rules, please.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments