Moderator: TenantNet

Possible mold on bathroom ceiling

Postby Cylon452 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:29 am

Hi All

Re:
Rent Stabilized apartment
Possible mold on bathroom ceiling
I have the pictures and video.

I have notice a 1 and 1/2 square foot of discoloration on my ceiling in my bathroom. It's mostly orange/brown. Its a drywall drop ceiling. Might be water coming from my neighbors bathroom above me.

Super looked at it and said it is not mold just water damage. No testing was done.
It is only on the one spot. Dry wall may be damaged on the other side too.
That was 3 months ago.

I would like to get that checked by a third party. I read other post about calling 311 to file a complaint and to try to get an inspector to check it out. Like they do heat and hot water issues.

My 2 questions are this.
No one has asked this question on your forums. I searched for one hour.

So here are the questions and it might be helpful to others who want to keep their RS unit.

1. If it is mold do i have to move out of my RS unit for them( contractors ) to remove the
damage sheet rock(dry wall) ?
I have no money to move and i do not want to lose my RS unit.

2. Is this a HPD, DHCR or building department issue ?

Thanks for reading this an you time.

Cylon452
Cylon452

Re: Possible mold on bathroom ceiling

Postby TenantNet » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:37 am

From what you describe, this appears to be surface mold (or maybe a water stain). Mold usually comes with a black fuzz. (get pictures on the internet).

This is a HPD issue, although if really severe it might get into Dept. of Health or Environmental Protection Agency (local, not federal).

You do not have to move, but again, it it's throughout the unit and determined to be coming from within the walls, not just the surface, I have heard of one severe case where the tenant had to temporarily relocate. For any relocation, you need an iron-clad temporary relocation agreement prepared by a tenant attorney to guarantee your right to return and RS status. Most likely this will not need to happen. You can maybe get an attorney through legal services or other agencies depending on your income and other factors.

I would call 311 to ask for a HPD inspection. You can always hire your own inspectors if you doubt the findings of HPD. Some mold is just plain obvious. Some takes real testing.

See the attached redacted sheet one tenant received from HPD after the inspection in her apartment.

HPD mold violation.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby Cylon452 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:22 pm

Thank you for this information. I'm going to contact the building one more time. If not action from them i will call 311 and start the ball rolling. The Mold is not black from the outside surface but could be on the inside of the sheet rock. Other areas of the apartment like my computer room, bedroom, closets and office area look clean. Looking under the sink look clean.

Do i have access to post a picture on your forums. I don't see any attachment buttons.
Cylon452

Postby TenantNet » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:33 am

You say the ceiling is a drop ceiling? Is it like the one described at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dropped_ceiling ?

If so, how old is the building? Was it converted from some other use such as an office or retail space?

Are there fire sprinklers installed above the ceiling? Do you have fire escapes or other means of secondary egress?

I'm curious as I seem to remember that drop ceilings are rarely found in residential spaces, and I even seem to remember that they might not be entirely legal in residential spaces. However, I would need to do additional research (or ask an architect) before making an absolute claim on that.

To post a photo, hit quick reply, then Full Editor, then see the button to upload attachments at the bottom.

TenantNet

Postby Cylon452 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:13 am

Hi

This is a 4 story building. I'm on the upper floor. Each floor has 2 units. 8 Total.
3 units Rent Stabilized - 5 Free market

1. You say the ceiling is a drop ceiling? Is it like the one described at https://en.wikipedia.org
/wiki/Dropped_ceiling ?
No. Does not look like that. This is not a commercial drop ceiling. Bathroom pictures will
show you. It is sheet rock.

2. If so, how old is the building? Was it converted from some other use such as an office or
retail space?
Built in 1910. No conversions. It was built as a residential rental.
3. No Sprinklers - all apartments have fire escapes. Front and back of building.
4. Has a Certificates of Occupancy ( From BIS website )
5. ( From BIS website )Department of Finance Building Classification: C1-WALK-UP APARTMENT
6, No outstanding violations from the BIS website.

Attached is the bathroom ceiling in question,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Cylon452 on Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cylon452

Postby TenantNet » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:21 am

If not, then what does it look like (try Googling 'dropped ceilings" and see the images)? What is above the tiles?

I don't think they had dropped ceilings in 1910. What is the ceiling height? With the dropped ceiling and without it?

What is the BIS number (don't post it here, but send by Private Mail - use the PM icon).

TenantNet

Postby TenantNet » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:02 am

Well that certainly looks like a water leak, but I don't think it looks like mold.

You said the ceiling was sheetrock. That's a normal ceiling, not a drop/suspended ceiling.

LL is required to repair that, but not just paint over. They are required to repair the underlying condition, meaning they must find out where the leak is coming from and make that repair as well. They should cut out the damaged sheetrock and replace it, joining the old and new with tape and plaster/paint as appropriate.

TenantNet

Postby Cylon452 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:09 am

OK thanks for the helps. I hope it also helps others. Thanks for all your help in educating me on the ceiling. I learn something everyday :)
Cylon452

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments