TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

A couple of words about mail thieves...

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

A couple of words about mail thieves...

Postby Hada0 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:02 am

Hi, guys!

Just looked through the whole internet of mailbox threads. Some guys are artists, some are getting laughs (and maybe they are artists as well), and some are making unbreakable boxes to stand against drunk drivers or teenage boys with baseball bats. Lots of very clever ideas.

But around here the problem is mail thieves. I don't know to what lengths they might go to get the mail out of one of the post office approved "secure" boxes, but I figure to make mine out of something stout.

I was thinking of some scrap 3/16" T-1, or maybe stainless, mostly because stainless tends to eat up saw blades. But I can figure that out easily enough.

What I'm after is a good design to keep the thieving dope-addicts from grabbing stuff out of the box, while not making it too much of a hassle for the owner to get his mail.

I'll be making two boxes or a single duplex box for myself and the immediate neighbor.

Have any of you built a mail-secure box that has worked out well? I've never even owned a commercially-made secure box, just the ordinary kind.

I'll be glad to look at your pictures as well :albino:
Hada0

Re: A couple of words about mail thieves...

Postby TenantNet » Wed May 29, 2019 8:22 am

Locking this thread and kicking off the author.

Something seemed odd about this post, even if the IP address was based in the US, the email did pop-up in Stop Forum Spam database. But the kicker was that this post is a duplicate, word-for-word of a post from 2016 you can find here.

These days hackers/spammers often create a seemingly innocuous post, and then come back later and put in links for commercial products. So we're on the lookout for any post or poster who wants to make a mess of this place.

Even if legit, the question isn't. All postal boxes in apartment buildings must be approved by the USPS. Tenants cannot go and build their own (and landlords likely wouldn't like that either).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments