TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Blank rent history

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Blank rent history

Postby annany » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:40 am

I'm subletting an apartment for a year in a building with apartments were all once rent stabilized. I requested a rent history since I'm paying above what rent stabilized rent would be, and I wanted to know if this apartment was still rent stabilized. The report is pretty confusing to me. It reflects a status of rent stabilized, and names one tenant who lived here from 1984 to 1989 at a rent of about $400. Then from 1990-1994, it's listed as vacant with the same rent. In 1995, it's still reported as vacant but the rent jumps to $1000. Same for 1996. No more rental history is reported after 1996. Thoughts? What besides the report can I use to tell if the apartment is rent stabilized?

The tenant did not disclose the rent he's paying, this is not an approved subtenancy. And I know he wants to keep the apartment for a family member to use in a few years, so I suspect the rent he pays is still below market.
annany

Re: Blank rent history

Postby TenantNet » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:55 am

This is confusing because in your previous post, it appeared you were renting. Please clarify. Also appears you have already requested and received the rent history from DHCR. If a unit is legitimately deregulated, then it's pretty clear the rent will be higher than if it were still RS.

Based on your description, there might have been an illegal jump in the mid-90's. Of course the document will not tell you about any IAI's and how they are factored in.

And as it's past the 4 years, there's not much you can do on that - unless you can prove fraud.

And of course, if deregulated, there's no requirement for continuing registrations. Also, as you are a sublet, you would not have standing to file an overcharge claim with DHCR ... unless the amount you're paying to the prime tenant violates the sublet laws. Of course that only holds for RS units.

For the subtenancy, the tenant is not required to tell you the legal rent (RS) or lease rent (if not RS).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments