TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

LL demands that 'preferred rent' rider be signed

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Re: LL demands that 'preferred rent' rider be signed

Postby TenantNet » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:46 pm

How many times does this need to be said?

No changes in terms or conditions of the lease. The tenant does not have to accept anything new (and it might not even be legal).

A percentage decrease means it is NOT a PR, which sets a lower amount as a defined dollar amount. No matter how you want to argue it (Bubba), a percentage is not a PR.

Anything you sign - other than the renewal lease - has the potential of being used against your interests. Don't do it.

Some tenant lawyers will say things like a lead paint notice is inconsequential, so there's no downside in signing something like that. I would not agree with that, but still, the rider in question here seeks to bind you to new terms.

So please, unless there's new information that is material, please let this thread fade away (SR77, you do have a way of dragging threads out forever).
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby BubbaJoe123 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:22 pm

OK, so the fact that the rider they want you to sign contains materially different provisions than are in your existing agreement is something you hadn't mentioned before, and completely changes the landscape. Of course you shouldn't just agree to change your discount (whatever you want to call it) from life of the tenancy to expiring after this lease.
BubbaJoe123

Postby sr77 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:22 am

Just realized (the hard way) that there seems to be a timeout in effect even while you're actively composing in the message editor, and you don't get signaled about a pending logoff from the timeout.

So you finish your post, press 'Submit' and the message disappears and you end up back at the login screen.

Don't know if there's any way you can set things up to prevent that (tenant.net), but it would sure be preferable to losing the message -- at least preserving it, if possible, or sending a clear 'pending logoff' warning that the user can respond to by saving the draft or some other means.

Anyway, since it's gone, I won't try to redo it, I'll just let the thread die the quiet death you've already wished upon it anyway.

Thanks to you and Bubba for your assistance.
sr77

Postby TenantNet » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:26 am

Bubba, yes he had mentioned the difference ... 18 times! I just did a search on page 1 of this thread and the "%" character appears 18 times.

sr77 ... timeout and logoff? I've never seen that. Do you check "keep me logged in" when you first log on? Perhaps that might invoke a timer if you don't check that. But even when I forget to check that, I'm still logged in until I close the browser. Or perhaps I don't have that as I have admin privileges.

AFAIK, the software does not generate a pending logoff warning.

But what I also do if I need to leave a message and come back later, is to simply copy the text and paste it into my email client. Or you can save the post as a draft. You have to be in Full Editor Mode to do that.

Someday, when I get the time, I'll upgrade the forum software. It's been on my todo list for a while.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Postby sr77 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:09 pm

TenantNet wrote:Bubba, yes he had mentioned the difference ... 18 times! I just did a search on page 1 of this thread and the "%" character appears 18 times.

I think Bubba was referring to my possibly not having clarified that the rider doesn't just restate the terms of the agreement letter (re the % reduction), but in fact also terminates my 'preferred rent' at the end of the current (i.e., the not yet executed) renewal lease.

As I've said, they've sent me this combination of contradictory documents for a long time. It's odd that no one there would ever notice that sending both makes no sense.

Just had the same logoff thing happen again. When I logged back in I clicked the option to return to where I'd been. The quote (of your post) was there but what I'd written in reply was gone.

I'm not even going to try to Preview this before sending, because it's happened when I've done that (i.e., I hadn't clicked on 'Submit').
sr77

Previous

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments