TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

J-51 question--is my landlord overcharging me?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

J-51 question--is my landlord overcharging me?

Postby gabrielle » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi,
I live in an apartment that seems to have been re-regulated (after being illegally de-regulated) during this whole J-51 fiasco (https://www.propublica.org/article/meet ... -rent-hike).

When we moved in, we were told our lease was rent-stabilized, but not told why. There was no J-51 rider in our initial lease. I did some research trying to figure out why our expensive apartment (more than 4k) was regulated, and guessed it was the J-51--online the nyc website reveated that the abatement was indeed granted, and had many years left on the abatement.

When we received our renewal lease, they included a J-51 rider for the first time, which listed an expiration date of THIS YEAR. I went online and checked again--the abatement years still hadn't changed, but they had paid off the balance of their abatement so that there was $0 remaining.

My questions are:
(1) is this legal? I was under the impression that when a building signed up for a tax benefit, they couldn't change their minds retroactively and negate the terms of that agreement by paying off the balance.
(2) Since we never received the J-51 rider in our initial lease, can we just ignore this rider in our renewal?

and a separate question:
-I requested the rent history, and the apartment is listed as vacant in april of the year we moved in (we moved in during the summer), with a registered rent that is several hundred dollars *less* than what we are being charged. Are we being overcharged? Or is the difference in these amounts a vacancy increase (or in other words--is the total listed for that year already reflective of the vacancy increase for that vacancy, or pre-increase).

Thanks so much! The information on this is so confusing.
gabrielle

Re: J-51 question--is my landlord overcharging me?

Postby gabrielle » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:40 pm

oops--realized the difference in my rent is likely due to renovations in the apartment. so please ignore the last question, just looking for help on the first two!
gabrielle

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments