TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Busted Pipe Annoyance

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Busted Pipe Annoyance

Postby Cazmia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 am

We woke up to a busted pipe and the water for the building had to be shut off. We can't see anything (except the water flooding the bathroom floor), so we are assuming it is a pipe in the wall that is causing the issue.

The landlord brought a plumber right away (which is good). However, he wants to come in with the plumber.
We do not have a good relationship with this landlord, because we are stabilized tenants and he has brought us to court many times to coerce us to leave.

My question is, can we allow the plumber, but not the landlord, in? We simply do not want someone like him in our home, based on his desire to make us leave.

It's not as if he has any plumbing skills, and this is about a repair, not an inspection.

Thank you.
Cazmia

Re: Busted Pipe Annoyance

Postby TenantNet » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:36 am

I believe you have every right to allow the plumber, but not the LL. Of course be prepared for a fight. It's not so unreasonable to have the opposing opinion.

If the LL later sends a notice requesting access for an inspection, that's something else. See the threads on providing access in the Forum's reference section.

No matter what happens, record everything the LL says, the entire conversation. Use a smartphone. Also take photos of the condition and the plumber working. (you can do that without letting him know so he doesn't get nervous. Turn off the audio on the camera app.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Busted Pipe Annoyance

Postby Cazmia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:25 pm

Thank you, that makes me feel a little better.
Greatly appreciated, as the plumber is on his way.
Cazmia

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments