TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

LL Attacked Me After Complaining About MCI Notice

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

LL Attacked Me After Complaining About MCI Notice

Postby Jeffnet » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:23 pm

Hello,

On Monday I received a notice that there is a pending MCI application for the installation of a water booster pump. For the last few months, I have been experiencing a loud sharp noise every time one of the toilets is flushed in one of the apartments below me (I'm on the top floor). After seeing this notice of a pending rent increase, I thought maybe this water pump, to increase pressure, has something to do with this noise, since the pump was installed at around the time I started to experience this noise problem. So far, I have not said anything about it, because I think they won't do much of anything about it.

Later that night, I left a message with the LL, letting them know about this problem, and that the installation or the equipment related to this MCI might be causing this noise. I said Maybe this should be looked into before the application is approved as the equipment may be defective.

As I got home from work the next day, and walked up the steps from the lobby to the elevator, one of LL's reps was standing at the door to their office (they use an apartment on the first floor) and as she saw me, she started to scream at me, as loud as she can in the hallway, demanding to know what I know about this water pump. I told her I don't know anything, and she continued to scream and said that if I don't like it, I should move. She then demanded that I go into the office, to which I said NO. She appeared to be deranged.

I told her to get away from me, and she said I'm going upstairs with you! I told her again to get away from me. She followed me into the elevator. It was difficult to do anything because there was another tenant who went into the elevator at the same time.

While in the elevator, she continued to scream at me, calling me names, and said something derogatory several times about my marital status/familial status. I would think that that is considered discriminatory. She screamed that I am a burden to the Realty company, and that I shouldn't complain about anything. It was quite scary.

As I got off the elevator with the other tenant (it was real humiliating), she continued to scream at me about my marital status, and brought up a complaint I made 5 or 6 years ago. For what, I don't know.

She followed me to the apartment door and tried to corner me and I was about to put the key into the door to unlock the lock, but I thought she might try to force her way in.

Honestly, I was really scared. I thought a fist-fight was about to break out. I didn't know what to do. She continued to scream at me all kinds of insults. I tried to stay as calm as possible. She looked and sounded like a deranged lunatic.

She finally left, and as we traded words, I called her a slumlord. She finally got into the elevator and went downstairs.

I wasn't sure what to do after that, as I was quite shaken. Call the police? Not sure what they would do.

Later that night I wrote out a letter to the Managing Agent detailing everything that happened. I sent it certified mail. I tried to be as rational and factual as possible.

The next day, the woman who attacked me called me at work to apologize. I told her that a lot of what she did is probably illegal. I used to work for a public LL, and I know about what you can and cannot say to tenants. Most of what she said and did is not permitted, to be done to tenants from the training that I had. She then said oh, I am such a good tenant, that I always pay before the rent is actually due, etc. So I went from "Get out" to "you're such a good tenant" in less than 24 hours.

The managing agent also called, me, did not apologize, and was more concerned that I called her company a slumlord.

So...any ideas on what I should do next? I could respond to the MCI and attach the letter that I sent to the Managing Agent, but I don't know if that would do any good.

I know I could also file a harassment claim at DHCR and there is another city agency that I can file with as well.

A few months back, I posted about the LL raising the rent above the approved RGB increases. I think that plays into this as well.

Thank you!!
Jeffnet

Re: LL Attacked Me After Complaining About MCI Notice

Postby TenantNet » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:04 pm

I would use a smartphone to record everything that is said by the LL.

For the MCI you can respond to the application complaining about the toilets and booster pump. You can also file a service reduction complaint if the LL does nothing about it.

If the behavior continues, you can complain to the police and depending on the severity, you can get a restraining order that they can't physically approach you.

You can also complain to the NYC and NYS Human Rights Divisions (they are separate) if what was stated crossed the line as to your national heritage, color, religion, sexual preference as so forth.

To be honest, I don't have much faith in any of the above agencies, or the police, to actually do anything. But the LL will have to take the time and energy to respond to each one. If you have a recording or can ask the neighbor to confirm the story, then your chances are better.

Whatever you do from now on, document everything that happens. Keep envelopes, mail with certificate of mailing or cert. mail. Record conversations. Take photos.

As for the MCI, it's our view that booster pump MCIs are illegal, but the DHCR rubber-stamps them anyway.

DHCR's record on harassment is abysmal. The city is supposedly doing something about harassment - so they claim - but I've seen nothing to indicate they're serious. You can also speak to elected officials (good luck with that), or a tenant attorney.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: LL Attacked Me After Complaining About MCI Notice

Postby Jeffnet » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:16 pm

Thank you, TenantNet!

I didn't think about recording the incident with my smartphone until all was said and done, but will remember to do so if there is a next time. It was scary and happening real fast.

I will carefully consider filing complaints with the other agencies you mentioned as well. I just hope I don't have to be afraid of anything anymore!
Jeffnet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments