TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Applying a judicial award to lower my rent balance

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Applying a judicial award to lower my rent balance

Postby victory » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:14 pm

I have a rent-stabilized apt. in nyc. I have a lease; I am primary tenant.Bldg is over 100 yrs old.
ten total units; only half are rented/occupied.

I was awarded (prevailing party is I), legal fees 4 months ago but I deliberately didn't asK LL FOR it yet. I had a nonpayment trial and I owe a sum greater than the awarded amount.
I mailed a check (on time) that reflects the total amt due minus the awarded amount. LL wil probably not cash my reduced check. I filed papers to have my awarded sum credited to my
past rent due. What should I look out for when we are heard in housing court? I know my LL well; he will try and oppose the judicial order/decision that compels him to pay my legal fees from a previous trial.please respond quickly, since court date is very soon.
thank you.
posted mon,june 5th, 614pm, et
victory

Re: Applying a judicial award to lower my rent balance

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:19 pm

Haven't we been through this in another thread? I just wrote a response to this post not realizing this should have been posted as a continuation of the previous thread. And you omitted vital information. So I'm leaving it as is, and locking this topic. Any follow-up should be on the original thread.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments