TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Bad paperwork creates ugly Section 8 complication

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

Bad paperwork creates ugly Section 8 complication

Postby Landlords Boy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:40 am

I know the paperwork is complicated. Sometimes I think it's amazing tenants can fill out everything S8 needs for a new apt. without errors.

The renewals are usually easy by comparison. However, we recently had a case when a tenant told the Section 8 people he was renewing for one year and the landlord (me) for two years. This resulted in the tenant having the wrong rent and owing Section 8 money and maybe a mess of paperwork for me to fill out and submit to DHCR if I'm to avoid an order from them to raise the tenant's rent to the legal maximum.

Neither tenant nor landlord needs such hassles. So please, when you fill out your renewal papers, take some extra time to make sure you're telling your landlord and the Section 8 people the same thing.
Landlords Boy

Postby TenantNet » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:02 am

Yes, honest mistakes can happen.

By chance, if you are the same user who has posted previously under "Landlord's Boy" (with an apostrophe), then you should not have created a new user name and posted under this new username.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Re: Bad paperwork creates ugly Section 8 complication

Postby Landlords Boy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:21 pm

I am. But I can't sign in under "Landlord's Boy" because then the system says there's an illegal character in the username: the apostrophe, I suppose.
Landlords Boy

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments