TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

What documents required to be returned when renewing lease?

NYC Rent Regulation: Rent Control/Rent Stabilized, DHCR Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

What documents required to be returned when renewing lease?

Postby sr77 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:15 am

Am I correct that other than the Rent Stabilized renewal lease itself (two copies), the only other documents required to be returned to the landlord (though not actually related to the execution of the renewal lease) are the 'window guards' and 'lead based paint' declarations?

This year I received a 'stove knob covers' declaration in the renewal packet sent to me. I've never been sent this document before. It seems intended primarily for tenants with children under age six but has a provision to request replacement covers even if the tenant doesn't have children. Are you familiar with this document, tenant.net?

LL cites Admin. Code Section 27-2046.4(a) as the reason for it. Is that a new law, or one the LL just never bothered about before?

Thanks.
sr77

Re: What documents required to be returned when renewing lea

Postby TenantNet » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:32 am

Assuming you're talking a RS renewal lease, and the renewal process only, not something else that might occur near the same time.

Some LLs try to pile on a demand/request for documents at the same time ... some of which are not required at all. Some are required by NYC Dept. of Housing and Preservation and Development. Some you are technically supposed to sign and return, but to be honest, I've never seen anything bad happen if a tenant fails to return them. A LL might send them as part of the renewal process, but that's just to save postage. They could be sent at any time.

RS renewal lease must be on DHCR's official form RTP-8, nothing else. Make sure you get the latest version (2019, after the new rent laws were passed.

The LL send you two copies. You sign and accept the renewal and send them back. You make copies and send certified. The LL should then sign the copies and return one to you. That's it.

The LL is require to also send you a copy of the Information Rider. Many don't and that's a ground to file a complaint. If they continue to refuse that, the rent can get frozen. However I've yet to see DHCR enforce that.

Other documents you cite regarding lead paint and window guards are not part of the lease renewal process and are not ground for the LL to refuse to renew the lease. Those and the stove knob covers are the "other " documents to which I was referring. That is required by NYC, not DHCR.

Stove knob covers might seem trivial, but small kids like to grab and turn things. YHou can see more at https://www1.nyc.gov/site/hpd/services- ... overs.page
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to NYC Rent Regulated Apartments