TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

Can my landlord refuse to honor a lease he gave me . . .

Rent stabilzed lease renewals and how to apply Rent Guidelines Board (RGB) percentage increases

Moderator: TenantNet

Can my landlord refuse to honor a lease he gave me . . .

Postby Ms Kay » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:53 pm

My landlord gave leases out almost a year in advance. The lease process here has been very erratic. When I signed & submitted, I did so having added my daughter's signature as a tenant, as she has resided as a minor with me all these years & is now 18. He has tried to get the older tenants out for years by being nasty, not fixing things & so on. Can he refuse to honor the lease because my daughter signed on it? When I asked his wife why they have not yet deposited my rent check, she said that they were consulting a lawyer over the second signature & could not process the check as it would show agreement.
We have nowhere else to go & need guidance on this issue, I have called everywhere but cannot get a response.

Thank you for your time!
Kay
Ms Kay

Re: Can my landlord refuse to honor a lease he gave me . . .

Postby TenantNet » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:42 am

Are you rent stab? How many years? Was the most recent lease renewal offer made on a DHCR form RTP-8? Was it given to you a year in advance? You don't state any real specific information. How about a more specific timeline.

Did you submit the DHCR succession form? Are you now seeking succession rights?

Based on what you said, you might end up hurting yourself. But give us more detailed (but no personal) info.
The Tenant Network(tm) for Residential Tenants
Information from TenantNet is from experienced non-attorney tenant
activists and is not considered legal advice.

Subscribe to our Twitter Feed @TenantNet
TenantNet

Return to Lease renewals RGB