TenantNet Forum

Where tenants can seek help and help others

What is the Procedure at Housing Court?

NYC Housing Court Practice/Procedures

Moderator: TenantNet

What is the Procedure at Housing Court?

Postby Brooklyn Blues » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:07 am

I am going to housing court to fight an eviction notice. To make a long story short, I have already won this eviction fight in court (In writing, in court, my landlord withdrew his claims with prejudice and agreed to offer me a new lease). But my landlord has refused to offer me a legal lease and is attempting to evict me again. Several people including a landlord/tenant lawyer have told me that he simply can’t do this and that I can represent myself at this point so that I do not have to continue to pay a lawyer. The question is this - what is the process once I get to court? I want the judge to see that my landlord already lost, refused to honor the written, signed agreement and is bringing the same suit again.

Will this go straight to a judge, will my landlord and I be expected to work this out first, or something else?
Brooklyn Blues

Postby ronin » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:25 am

You haven't given any information about your tenancy. Is it regulated or not? If it's regulated just chill. Who wants a new lease and its rent increase when you can stay under the old lease (and rent)? But if its unregulated, no lease equals no apartment.
ronin

Return to Housing Court - NYC